dinsdag 24 juni 2014

What I love about summer - Reading



This blogpost might be a little to nerdy for some of you, but for those who love to spend their summer-days in the sun with a good book, read on. School is the biggest reason I barely read throughout the year. If I ever read, I'm reading a stupid book for my dutch classes. I hate how school pushes us to read certain books to make sure that we'll read once in a while. I mean, how can one like a book when you know you'll have to write a paper about it afterwards? You aren't concentrating on the story anymore, but you're concentrating on the fact if the characters are round or flat. Honestly, who cares? 
However, once the sun is shining I grab a book and let it take me on an adventure. I was talking to a friend about how much I read during summer, that even if I'm not reading I constantly hear a voice in my head that keeps on telling stories. Does anyone else have this feeling or do I just read a little to much?
Let me give you some information about two books I have read throughout the year and the many books I'll be reading this summer while sitting on an airplane, lying next to the pool, or lying in my bed whit a little sunshine that's stroking my face. Just got a little too excited there, did you notice?

The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephen Chbosky: Beautiful book! Like every other teenager that read this book, I could really relate to it. Although It was written quiet a while ago I feel like the hype only started last year! The story is about a boy who is trying to find out who he is and who he wants to be. Don't we all suffer from that? That's why it is a very interesting read! It's also a very easy book, you'll get through it in just a few days. Can you believe I haven't seen the movie yet?

Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov: This is the second book I read this year. It has taken me a very long time, but I got through it eventually. I really recommend this book because the way the russian author uses English vocabulary, mixed with French vocabulary and his own made up words is just amazing! But then again, that is one of the reasons it took me so long to finish this book. There are many jokes and situations I've missed, just because, as a dutch/french girl, the vocabulary was a little too hard for me. And I wasn't willing to look up every single word in the dictionary. 
The story is very unique. It is about a man who falls in love with a very young girl. A child actually. This is one of the reasons the book was considered taboo in many countries. We all know how paedophilia is bad and illegal, but the storyteller finds a way to talk himself out of it and make it seem okay. And that is so weird about the story but again so well done.

It - Alexa Chung: I wouldn't really consider this book as literature, but I love Alexa's style so I am very excited to find out more about who she is and what inspires her. The book also contains beautiful pictures, so for the non-readers, this might be something for you!

Just Kids - Patti Smith: This book is one that I found laying around my house. It is the story about how the singer Patti Smith tried to make a carrier in New York. I love New York, appreciate the music she makes, and I've heard many good things about this book! 

The Fault in Our Stars - John Green: Common, I have to, don't I? Every single girl of my age has read this book. I just can't get away from it! I want to be able to follow the millions and millions of conversations about this book. 

To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee: I'm not quiet sure yet what this book is about, but I'll find out soon! And if I like it, I'll tell you guys more about it.

I know that it is hard for young people like me who are dreaming about traveling, buying clothes, going out for breakfast, to spend money on a book that they'll probably only read once. Here are the things I did to avoid that situation and save myself some money for all the traveling I'll be doing this summer.
- Get books for your birthday (I got Lolita from my sister, and It from a friend)
- Look what is laying around the house (Just Kids is my mom's book)
- Borrow books from friends! (I borrowed the Fault in our Stars and To Kill a Mockingbird from a friend)
- You can also go to the library if you'd like!

A special thank you to my lovely friend Zohra who was kind enough to let me borrow her books.

What are some other books I should read?

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Follow on Bloglovin